The negative effects of Juuling

Elizabeth Binetti, Managing Editor

The growing popularity of Juuls and other vaping devices have struck a chord with the FDA, who are still in the process of approving them. An experiment conducted through New York University exposed rats to nicotine vapor for 12 weeks, mimicking the average teenager Juul usage. The exposure resulted in severe damage to their DNA, causing their cells to become unable to repair themselves. These effects drastically increase the risk of cancer and heart disease. Suddenly, researchers have panicked and are trying to reduce its underage usage.

Nicotine, one of the nation’s most abused controlled substances, is sparking addictions in teens as they continue their use of Juuls and other electronic cigarettes. Dr. Harold Farber, a pediatrician at Texas Children’s Hospital told reporters: “Electronic cigarettes are a path of nicotine addiction for youth.”

A spokesperson for Juul told reporters that the sole purpose for their design was to wean adult cigarette smokers off of them, however, they are facing backlash for instead enacting nicotine addictions in teens who were never cigarette smokers to begin with.

Aside from nicotine, the Juul and other electronic devices contain carcinogens, cancer-causing agents. A study conducted by Professor Daniel Sullivan from the University of Alabama School of Medicine found that the coil temperature of these devices creates harmful chemicals such as acrolein, acetaldehyde and formaldehyde. Formaldehyde causes the breaking down of the lining of the nose and throat, especially when inhaled in the form of Juuls.

Acetaldehyde is a common carcinogen for digestive cancers and small amounts cause significant damage to the body. The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry states, “Acrolein is irritating to the upper respiratory tract even at low concentrations.”

Many scientists and researchers are concerned with the lack of information on the long term effects of vaping devices. Although, kids take a lack of research as a sign that it is safe, experts are advising that people rethink their usage instead. This generation will be the guinea pigs for Juul’s long term effects, which are subject to be harmful.