Coxsackie breaks out in NJ high school sports teams

Tara Macchione, Features Editor

High School sports teams in the New Jersey area are experiencing an outbreak of various cases of the Coxsackie Virus also referred to as, Hand-Foot-and-Mouth disease. Typically coxsackie is often seen and spread by younger children, due to them constantly having their hands in their mouths.

As seen in the past few months with many high schoolers, any age can obtain this virus. High School sports programs all around New Jersey are being temporarily shut down, postponing games and canceling practices because of this rapidly spreading virus.

It is important that schools take precautions to prevent the ongoing spread of this virus. Student athletes should take all equipment: jerseys, water bottles, etc. out of the their lockers and bags. These belongings are to be brought home and thoroughly washed before practice the next day.

Coxsackie is generally not dangerous and does not cause severe problems.

“The worst effects of it have to be the pain and discomfort that it causes and that it takes two weeks up to a month to go away” Said Westwood High School Nurse, Mary Connolly.

The reason why everyone is so concerned about it, is because there is no stopping it. Antibiotics are ineffective because it is a virus and there is no vaccine to prevent it. Once infected the only way to get rid of it, is to get a lot of sleep and let the virus continue to run its course.

Symptoms of coxsackie are not too extreme, some may barely get any symptoms at all. Common symptoms are sore throat, fever, muscle aches, poor appetite (common mild flu symptoms) as well as the rash. The rash can be described as a blister like rash occurring  on the hands feet and mouth, if developed will first become distinguishable within 1-2 days after other symptoms begin.

“If the lesions can be covered students are permitted to come to school, if they can not be covered, they should stay home.” Said Connolly

High school sports teams are being extra cautious this season to avoid getting their athletes infected with this virus.